Types of Prepositions.
Prepositions may be arranged in the following classes:
1) Simple Prepositions:
At, By, For, From, In, Of, Off, On, Out, Through, Till, To, Up, With.
2) Compound Prepositions: Which are generally formed by prefixing a preposition (usually a = no or be = by) to a Noun, an Adjective or an Adverb.
About, Above, Across, Along, Admidst, Among, Amongst, Around, Before, Behind, Below, Beneath, Beside, Between, Beyond, Inside, Outside, Underneath, Within, Without.
3) Phrase Prepositions: Group of words used with the force of a single preposition.
by means of
by reason of
by virtue of
by way of
for the sake of
in accordance with
in addition to
on behalf of
in case of
in comparison to
in consequence of
in course of
in favour of
in front of
in order to
in place of
in reference to
in regard to
in spite of
in the event of
on account of
with a view to
with reference to
with regard to
Examples are as follows:
1) According to the recent survey, more than a hundred people died in the stampede.
2) In case of need, phone 8888-898-001
3) By virtue of power vested in me, I hereby order…
4) In consequence of his illness he could not finish the work in time.
5) Owing to his ill health, he retired from business.
6) With reference to your letter of date, we regret we cannot allow any further rebate.
7) In order to avoid absenteeism, he attended all the sessions.
8) In course of time he saw his mistake.
9) He died fighting on behalf of his country.
10) On behalf of the staff he read the address.
11) He scored good marks in spite of difficulties.
12) In the event of his dying without an issue, his nephew would inherit the whole property.
13) Instead of talking, prove your worth by doing something.
14) He acted according to my instructions.
15) Why don’t you go along with your brother?
16) There is a big house in front of his house.
17) By means of rope ladders, they scaled the wall.
18) For the sake of their livelihood, most of the North Indians and South Indians emigrated to Mumbai.
19) In course of his researches he met with many difficulties.
20) He abdicated the throne in favour of his eldest son.
21) He could not attend school because of his father’s serious illness.
22) On account of his negligence the company suffered a heavy loss.